Friday 17 February 2012

Age of Elegance at the Guildhall

Next Friday, I am breaking my thesis-derived ban on fun to head to the Guildhall Art Gallery's late night opening for their new exhibition, The Age of Elegance. I spotted this ages ago when I was looking up information on their previous exhibition back in November or something, and it's been firmly in my diary since.  Try as I might, Friday nights are never productive anyway (as evidenced by the fact I'm blogging right now), so why not head out on the town?

The exhibition itself is a celebration of the fabulous years between 1890 and 1930.  So much happened between those decades in terms of style and social convention that at first it's kind of hard to see how it will all connect up.  But then when you think about the fin de siecle, Bohemian, wild abandon in the late Victorian era, and compare it to the interwar Jazz Age of Gatsby-esque decadence and luxury, I suppose there are currents which run through...  Something which I expect the exhibition will explore and which I look forward to seeing.

Lady Lavery by her husband, John Lavery
(Image source: Guildhall)

... And then there's the chance to have a little dance and a cocktail or two.  This special, late opening evening has been dubbed The Cat's Pyjamas and promises lots of entertainment in the Jazz Age vein, including a swing band and cocktail bar, as well as more quirky entertainment such as "spoken word cabaret".

Now, all I need to do is decide what to wear.  The temptation to wear 1920s, silky nightwear to play with the Cat's Pyjamas theme is great but I would have to source a new outfit for that.  Instead, I think I'll just have to go with what's in my wardrobe as I won't really have the chance to shop before then.  Unfortunately, my wardrobe doesn't particularly cover this period (love it, but the dresses never seen to suit my figure) but I'm sure I will manage to find something "inspired" by it...  Watch this space!

7 comments:

  1. hope you find the right outfit
    and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope so too. And I will definitely take some pictures to post.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it will be amazing, yeah I tend to steer clear of 1920s shapes being an hourglass kinda gal, but some of the bias cut gowns are rather flattering. You should totally nip to charity shops for a study break! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your charity shop idea. I might just try that out... Apparently there's a good one near the Barbican which is walking distance from my work so I could check that out during a lunch hour too. Hmm! Thanks for putting that idea in my brain!

      Delete
  3. I am very ashamed to say that I have never been to the Guildhall! :( This exhibition looks amazing so It seems a perfect time to make that change. Hope you have a wonderful time, i'm sure you ill look gorgeous what ever you wear. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I've never been before either, actually. I was going to the previous exhibition with my mum but then I was way too busy so she ended up taking herself there on her own... Bad daughter! :( She loved it though.

      Delete
  4. Will The Cat go in his pyjamas? ;) Well - it does sound like it's named for him!

    ReplyDelete