Thursday 6 March 2014

A Bookish Character

I only realised late yesterday evening that today was World Book Day, which, in the school-going world, often involves dressing up as your favourite character from a book for the day. I was rather annoyed at myself for not clocking this earlier, as I would have dressed up as my favourite character for the office, if only I'd had a little more time to think and plot and plan. Fancy dressing for the office is frequently more of a challenge than for recreational fancy dress, as you have to strike a balance between respectability and fun (as experienced here and here). So I really needed more time to work something out. But as I started conjuring up ideas belatedly this evening, I realised just how endless the possibilities are... 

Image source

Image source

Image source
(I urge you to follow that link - a fascinating
progression of covers for Alice over the years)

Image source
(Again, follow that link!)

Image source

Image source

Image source

Do you think I could go as a character from The Wind in the Willows? Obviously I wouldn't paint on whiskers or wear ears, so it would just be Edwardian country gentlemen's clothes really.

Image source

Of course, it doesn't have to be only children's books that I draw from. But considering how many ideas I came up with just from that section of the library of the world's books, there doesn't seem to be the need to go elsewhere. And the concept is derived from an idea for children, after all. Hm, it would be somewhat ironic if I went as, say, The Naughtiest Girl in the School, wearing my take on a school uniform - exactly what the kids of the world are getting out of wearing on that very same day.

Anyway, I'll put in my diary for next year and plan ahead - not just a costume for myself but maybe a nice little event with my workmates and/or friends revolving around favourite books. Watch this space!

And happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. A lovely post indeed, Miss Marie. Those covers are gorgeous and inviting! I wonder why they neglected it at my school this year. Well, we did have a Teddy Bears' Picnic for the youngest grades. We have had Book Week dress-ups in past years since I've been there (about 5 years). I was pleased with my costume for Mary Lennox in The Secret Garden. I had just read this wonderful book. I think you could create great fun at your work, judging by your past events...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I just re-read the Secret Garden recently, for the first time as an adult. I loved it (again). Mary Lennox is an excellent choice for a Book Day dress-up! Disappointing that your school didn't do it this year, but one mustn't turn their nose up at a Teddy Bears' Picnic, I say. We need more excuses to take our teddies out in the sun to get them some fresh air.

      Delete